Of all the forms of inequalities, inequality in healthcare is the most shocking and inhumane.
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Swasthya Swaraj was born out of the passionate desire and commitment of a small group of professionals (all women) to make a difference in the lives of the poor and poorest. Swasthya Swaraj is a not-for-profit, charitable society; this organization stands for the aspirations of a people who are powerless and deprived of their right to health. Swasthya Swaraj team is committed to making health a reality for the poorest, the most neglected and the unreached.
Swasthya Swaraj has set up a model community health programme - Swasthya Swaraj Comprehensive Community Health Programme in Thuamul Rampur Block of Kalahandi district in Odisha, India. Thuamul Rampur block is a tribal area and is an epitome of deprivation and inequity.
We work for improvement of health (SWASTHYA) in this dark tribal pocket by bringing a small diya which is passed on to many people through the health promotion activities, but our ultimate dream is much larger. It is community action for freedom (SWARAJ) - a peoples’ movement for health and freedom from the shackles of ill health, illiteracy and poverty.
- A society free from ill health, illiteracy and poverty, where every human being lives healthy and happy, in harmony with nature.
Our Mission Statements:
- We commit ourselves to empower the least and the last and the most unreached in the society; to liberate them from the bondage of ill health, illiteracy and poverty and thereby promote equity and equality.
- We facilitate peoples’ movement for health by empowering the people for community action for health.
- We promote community based research on the unique health problems in the tribal pockets and find solutions for them.
- All our activities and programmes are participatory, educative, empowering and based on human rights and noble values of tribal culture.
- Our guiding principles are Justice, Equity, Integrity and Compassion.